All About Flowers in Oil
9 am - 2 pm
Explore still life oil painting in this workshop that looks specifically at painting a floral still life. Imploring the techniques and style of the Dutch Masters, both beginning, and more advanced oil painting students will enjoy learning how to set up a floral still life, will consider their composition and will learn how to take a floral still life painting from start to finish. Students will explore oil painting techniques, including brushwork, value and color. Students will work to develop their oil painting skills while exploring texture, light, shape and form.
Saturday and Sunday, April 13 and 14
9 am – 2 pm
Ages: Adult (15+) / All levels
Instructor: Dee Kirkham
Supply List/Instructor Notes:
Suggested place for purchasing oil paints: Nevada Fine Arts Store, Reno, NV
Oil Paints (Rembrandt, Windsor Newton Oil (not student grade), Old Holland or Vasari Paints (800-932-9375)
- Naples Yellow Light
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Yellow Light or Lemon
- Cadmium Yellow Deep
- Cadmium Orange
- Cadmium Red Light
- Alizarin Crimson
- Ultramarine Blue
- Burnt Umber
- Raw Umber (prefer Windsor Newton)
- Ivory Black
- Transparent Oxide Red
- Titanium White (M Graham Alkyd Formulation – but any Titanium White will be fine)
- Rosemary Brushes (can order only online www.rosemaryandco.com – Ivory Filberts Size 4, 6, 8 & 10 to start and/or Ivory Short Flats, size 4, 6, 8 & 10 to start
- Robert Simmons (www.blick.com) Signet Bristle Brushes or Silver Grand Prix
- Sizes: 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
- Watercolor Nylon Brush or a very soft brush for smoothing – 1” to 2” – Rosemary & Co has a goat hair one that is perfect
- Prefer to not use turpentine – I will explain this and show you how to paint without it and how to clean your brushes.
- Gamblin Liquin
- Maroger Flemish Medium – can be ordered from Andre Lucero, www.andrelucero.com
- I will have this for you to purchase at the class. Please let him know that I referred you.
Preferred Surfaces – Smooth
- Ampersand Museum or value Series, The Artist Panel for oil & acrylics, smooth finish or canvas texture, 1/8” flat panel. Sizes preferred for class 8×10, 9×12, 11×14 or 12×16. Only need 2 canvases for class.Can order these at https://ampersandart.com or Nevada Fine Arts store (if they don’t have them, they can order them for you) or can be purchased at www.dickblick.com
- Inner Glow Panels – http://www.billewing.com/panels.htm (877-430-3639)
- These boards provide for a smooth surface giving the effect of the Old Dutch Masters style
- Canvas Boards, if used should be Belgian Linen Portrait quality. I recommend Raphael Premium Archival Oil Primed Linen Panels which you can order from Jerry’s Artarama.
- Bring any sizes you prefer – Suggested sizes 9×12, 11×14, 12×16
- Plexiglas or glass palette is the best for seeing your color and cleaning. The simplest is to buy a cheap frame with glass, 12×16 or 16×20, and use the glass for your palette.
- Any size will be fine, short blade and a long pliable blade preferred.
- Please bring you own easel setup if you prefer, otherwise easels are provided. If you prefer to sit when you paint, a table top easel will be fine.
- Artwork Essentials – http://www.artworkessentials.com – have several sizes of easels that are lightweight, easy to transport and very compact with tripod and accessories. I will be using one at the workshop.
Paper Towels – Bounty (seem to be the best for not leaving residue on your brushes or painting).
Still Life Setups
- You will be painting your own personal still life setup. If you have any special vases, flowers, or items that you would like to possible put in your painting, please feel free to bring them. I will be bringing a lot of items for you to choose from also.
- Also bring a small & large box and a dark colored cloth ( 2 yards minimum) preferably dark green, black or a neutral color.
NOTE: If you prefer not to buy extra supplies from this list, please just bring what you have. I know art can get expensive. I will be happy to share what I have with you and this will give an opportunity to try it before you buy.