Landscapes in Oil
Thursdays, October 1 – November 5 / 9 am – noon
This course teaches the basics of painting landscapes with traditional oils. Students will gain a good foundational working knowledge of equipment, supports, brush selection, brushwork, mixing color and mediums. The direct painting techniques of landscape painting will be taught without the use of solvents. Each lesson has demonstrations of the techniques with hands on experience.
Ages: 15 and Up / All Levels
Instructor: David McCamant
Inexpensive canvas boards or panels.
Students who wish to do the homework will need to double the number of panels.
- 1 – 11″ x 14” (OPTIONAL – add one more for homework*)
- 2 – 8″ x 10″ (OPTIONAL – add two more for homework*)
- 3 – 6″ x 8″ (OPTIONAL – add three more for homework*)
- 1 – 37 ml tube of oil paint in the following colors:
- WHITE Titanium White (2 tubes are suggested)
- YELLOW Cadmium Lemon, Windsor Yellow, Hansa Yellow Medium or Cadmium Yellow Light
- RED Cadmium Red Hue, Cadmium Red Medium or Cadmium Berium Red (not deep)
- BLUE French Ultramarine Blue or Ultramarine Blue
- BLACK Ivory Black
- MAGENTA (OPTIONAL*) Permanent Rose or Quinacridone Red
- CYAN (OPTIONAL*) Thalo Blue or Phthalo Blue
- You may bring whatever paint you have as long as they are the correct hues or colors. I recommend inexpensive Windsor Newton Winton student colors.
- Neo MeGilp Medium 2oz or Larger
- Recommend Connoisseur brand #2106 pure synthetic oil paint brushes or any artist quality manufacturer
- VERY IMPORTANT 1 each #6 and #8 Long-Handled Filberts
- Gray Matters, palette paper or equivalent
- Silicoil cleaning jar or other small jar with lid
- 1 – 8oz bottle of artist grade Walnut oil
- 2.5 OZ small cake of The Masters Brush Cleaner
- 1 roll of BLUE shop paper towels (OPTIONAL – add one more for homework*)
WET PANEL CARRIER
- Inexpensive cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil or aluminum roasting pan for wet painting transport
Approximate Materials Cost $100. With optional items $130.