Mastering the Elements of the Landscape: Seascapes in Oil
9 am - noon
To paint the landscape well, the artist must master the various elements of it. This class will focus on the painting a variety of seascapes and the unique lighting situations, rhythmic movement of the water and drama that the ocean presents. Students who have taken the Landscape Basics class will benefit, but it is not a prerequisite. Students will complete three or four seascape projects in this class.
Tuesdays, February 6 – 27
9 am – noon
Instructor: Mike Callahan
Ages: Adult (15+) | All Levels
Supply list: Show email confirmation at Nevada Fine Arts for 10% discount.
- Paint: M. Graham brand Titanium White (37ml) Hansa Yellow (37ml), Quinacridone Rose (37 ml), Phthalocyanine Blue (37ml)
- Thinner: Weber Turpenoid (pint) or similar artist’s grade odorless mineral spirits
- Medium: M. Graham Walnut Oil (4oz), Silicoil cleaning jar or other small glass jar with sealable lid (for thinner), Small can such as olive can (for medium)
- Brushes: Synthetic Brights OR
- Filberts: Silverbrush Bristlon #2, #4, and #10 Or Connoisseur Pure Synthetic, #2, #4, and #10 Or any quality hog bristle in those sizes if the student already owns their own brushes.
- Painting or Palette knife: (steel, NOT plastic)
- Disposable Palette: New Wave Disposable Palette (grey) or similar,
- Brush Cleaner: The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver
- Canvas or Panels: 4-canvas panels or stretched canvases 9”x12”, 11”x14” OR 12”x16”,
- Paper towels (i.e. Viva or Blue Shop Towels)
- Nitrile gloves.