Summer Intensive: Impressionist Painting Techniques in Oil
Monday – Friday, August 14 – 18 / 9 am – noon
Inspired by the American and French Impressionists, students will use oil paint to explore color, light and shadow in this summer intensive. This series will explore brushwork techniques, cropped compositions, color breaking and mixing colors directly on canvas.
Instructor: David McCamant
Ages: Adult (15+) / All Levels
SUPPORTS: Inexpensive canvas boards or panels. Students who wish to do the homework will need to double the number of panels.
- 1 – 11″ x 14” (OPTIONAL – add one more for homework*)
- 2 – 8″ x 10″ (OPTIONAL – add two more for homework*)
- 3 – 6″ x 8″ (OPTIONAL – add three more for homework*)
OIL PAINT: 1 – 37 ml tube of oil paint in the following colors:
- WHITE – Titanium White (2 tubes are suggested)
- YELLOW – Cadmium Lemon, Windsor Yellow, Hansa Yellow Medium or Cadmium Yellow Light
- RED – Cadmium Red Hue, Cadmium Red Medium or Cadmium Berium Red (not deep)
- BLUE – French Ultramarine Blue or Ultramarine Blue
- BLACK – Ivory Black
- MAGENTA – Permanent Rose or Quinacridone Red
- CYAN – Thalo Blue or Phthalo Blue
You may bring whatever paint you have as long as they are the correct hues or colors. I recommend inexpensive Windsor Newton Winton student colors.
PAINTING MEDIUM:Neo MeGilp Medium 2oz or Larger
BRUSHES: Recommend Connoisseur brand #2106 pure synthetic oil paint brushes or any artist quality manufacturer VERY IMPORTANT
- 1 each #6 and #8 Long-Handled Filberts
PALETTE: Gray Matters, palette paper or equivalent
CLEANING JAR: Silicoil cleaning jar or other small jar with lid
CLEANING SOLUTION: 1 – 8oz bottle of artist grade Walnut oil
BRUSH CLEANER: 2.5 OZ small cake of The Masters Brush Cleaner
PAPER TOWELS: 1 roll of BLUE shop paper towels (OPTIONAL – add one more for homework*)
WET PANEL CARRIER: inexpensive cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil or aluminum roasting pan for wet painting transport
Approximate Materials Cost – $100. With Optional Items – $130.
NOTE: Painting techniques will not use any solvent or turpentine, only painting medium.