Beginning Oil Painting: A Simple Approach for Rapid Success
9 am - noon
This class simplifies the complexities of landscape and gives the beginner a solid foundation upon which to begin painting representational landscapes in oil. To many people, painting the landscape in oil is an overwhelming undertaking. It doesn’t have to be if approached systematically. Landscape basics in oil class is just that – a systematic approach to understanding and representing the landscape in oil. The student will gain a solid understanding of atmospheric perspective and the nature of light and form in the landscape. The student will then apply this understanding to painting skies, mountains, trees, rocks, water and other elements of the landscape with a particular emphasis on the Sierra landscape. During the second half of the course, the student will have the option to work on personal landscape projects under the guidance of the instructor.
Tuesdays, November 7 – 28
9 am – noon
Instructor: Mike Callahan
Ages: Adult (15+) | All Levels
Supply list: Show email confirmation at Nevada Fine Arts for a 10% discount.
- Paint: M. Graham brand Titanium White (37ml) Hansa Yellow (37ml), Quinacridone Rose (37 ml), Phthalocyanine Blue (37ml)
- Thinner: Weber Turpenoid (pint) or similar artist’s grade odorless mineral spirits
- Medium: M. Graham Walnut Oil (4oz), Silicoil cleaning jar or other small glass jar with sealable lid (for thinner), Small can such as olive can (for medium)
- Brushes: Synthetic Brights OR
- Filberts: Silverbrush Bristlon #2, #4, and #10 Or Connoisseur Pure Synthetic, #2, #4, and #10 Or any quality hog bristle in those sizes if the student already owns their own brushes.
- Painting or Palette knife: (steel, NOT plastic)
- Disposable Palette: New Wave Disposable Palette (grey) or similar,
- Brush Cleaner: The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver
- Canvas or Panels: 4-canvas panels or stretched canvases 9”x12”, 11”x14” OR 12”x16”,
- Paper towels (i.e. Viva or Blue Shop Towels)
- Nitrile gloves.