Beginning Oil Painting – A Simple Approach for Rapid Success
9 am - noon
Quickly gain basic oil painting skills with this simple approach – start creating your own original art with confidence. This course simplifies the complexities of oil painting alleviating the fears and frustrations experienced by many beginners. This course is designed to equip you with the skills and know-how to create your very own, original painting and to begin your artistic journey painting many more! By the end of the course, you’ll have painted your very own, original oil painting. You’ll be learning how to gather and compose your own references and how to use a simple, repeatable process to execute a painting from start to finish.
Tuesdays, January 9 – 30
9 am – noon
Instructor: Mike Callahan
Ages: Adult (15+) | All Levels
Supply list: Show email confirmation at Nevada Fine Arts for a 10% discount.
- Paint: M. Graham brand Titanium White (37ml) Hansa Yellow (37ml), Quinacridone Rose (37 ml), Phthalocyanine Blue (37ml)
- Thinner: Weber Turpenoid (pint) or similar artist’s grade odorless mineral spirits
- Medium: M. Graham Walnut Oil (4oz), Silicoil cleaning jar or other small glass jar with sealable lid (for thinner), Small can such as olive can (for medium)
- Brushes: Synthetic Brights OR
- Filberts: Silverbrush Bristlon #2, #4, and #10 Or Connoisseur Pure Synthetic, #2, #4, and #10 Or any quality hog bristle in those sizes if the student already owns their own brushes.
- Painting or Palette knife: (steel, NOT plastic)
- Disposable Palette: New Wave Disposable Palette (grey) or similar,
- Brush Cleaner: The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver
- Canvas or Panels: 4-canvas panels or stretched canvases 9”x12”, 11”x14” OR 12”x16”,
- Paper towels (i.e. Viva or Blue Shop Towels)
- Nitrile gloves.