Impressionist Painting Techniques in Oil
9 am - noon
Inspired by the American and French Impressionists, students will use oil paint to explore color, light and shadow in this week-long intensive. This series will explore brushwork techniques, cropped compositions, color breaking and mixing colors directly on canvas.
Monday – Friday, February 18 – 22
9 am – noon
Instructor: David McCamant
Ages: Adult (15+) / All Levels
SUPPORTS: Inexpensive canvas boards or panels. Students who wish to do the homework will need to double the number of panels.
- 1 – 11″ x 14” (OPTIONAL – add one more for homework*)
- 2 – 8″ x 10″ (OPTIONAL – add two more for homework*)
- 3 – 6″ x 8″ (OPTIONAL – add three more for homework*)
OIL PAINT: 1 – 37 ml tube of oil paint in the following colors:
- WHITE – Titanium White (2 tubes are suggested)
- YELLOW – Cadmium Lemon, Windsor Yellow, Hansa Yellow Medium or Cadmium Yellow Light
- RED – Cadmium Red Hue, Cadmium Red Medium or Cadmium Berium Red (not deep)
- BLUE – French Ultramarine Blue or Ultramarine Blue
- BLACK – Ivory Black
- MAGENTA – Permanent Rose or Quinacridone Red
- CYAN – Thalo Blue or Phthalo Blue
You may bring whatever paint you have as long as they are the correct hues or colors. I recommend inexpensive Windsor Newton Winton student colors.
PAINTING MEDIUM:Neo MeGilp Medium 2oz or Larger
BRUSHES: Recommend Connoisseur brand #2106 pure synthetic oil paint brushes or any artist quality manufacturer VERY IMPORTANT
- 1 each #6 and #8 Long-Handled Filberts
PALETTE: Gray Matters, palette paper or equivalent
CLEANING JAR: Silicoil cleaning jar or other small jar with lid
CLEANING SOLUTION: 1 – 8oz bottle of artist grade Walnut oil
BRUSH CLEANER: 2.5 OZ small cake of The Masters Brush Cleaner
PAPER TOWELS: 1 roll of BLUE shop paper towels (OPTIONAL – add one more for homework*)
WET PANEL CARRIER: inexpensive cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil or aluminum roasting pan for wet painting transport
Approximate Materials Cost – $100. With Optional Items – $130.
NOTE: Painting techniques will not use any solvent or turpentine, only painting medium.